I adapted this granola recipe by adding dried fruit, chocolate, pumpkin seeds, and pistachios. Printer Friendly Version
**** = dairy free version
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cups sliced almonds
- 3/4 cups roughly chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 10 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup dark-brown sugar
- 3/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 7 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- optional: 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks or yogurt covered raisins*****
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, almonds, coconut, pumpkin seeds, pistachios and pecans. Spread oat mixture in an even layer on prepared baking sheet. Transfer to oven and bake until toasted, about 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place margarine, sugar, honey, salt, and cinnamon in a medium saucepan. Place over medium-low heat and cook until margarine is melted and mixture is well combined.
- Take out oat mixture and change oven to 275 degrees.
- Transfer toasted oat mixture to a large bowl and add the heated sauce; toss to coat. Return mixture to rimmed baking sheet and transfer to oven. Bake, stirring every 15 minutes, for an hour or until desired texture. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Granola will crisp up while cooling.
- Leave granola on baking sheet to cool (15 min) and then transfer to an airtight container, breaking up larger pieces. Add fruit and chocolate, cover container, and shake to combine. Granola may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 to 2 weeks.