I’ve made cinnamon rolls many a time and have come to the conclusion that cinnamon rolls lose the magic when you make a low-fat/low-sugar recipe. So as a late happy birthday treat, Eric got the full blown, 2 sticks of butter, sticky cinnamon rolls with a warm powdered sugar glaze. Paula Deen don’t mess around…holy crap these are yum.
1/4 ounce package yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup scalded milk
1/3 cup butter or shortening
1 tsp. salt
3 1/2 – 4 cups flour
1/2 cup melted butter, plus 4 more tablespoons for the pan
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons of hot water
1) Mix the yeast packet and 1/2 cup warm water
after 5 minutes there will be a thicker, milky looking coating on the top of the mixture.
3) Add 2 cups of flour
5) Add yeast mixture and stir. Add remaining 1 1/2 cups flour.
6) Once mixture becomes easy to handle by hand, take out of the bowl and knead on a floured surface for 5-10 minutes.
7) Place in a well-greased bowl and leave in a warm place covered loosely with plastic wrap. After 45 minutes the dough should have nearly doubled in size.
8) Roll out dough into a 15×12 rectangle on a floured surface. Mine was more of a square…
9) Melt one stick of butter and spread across the rolled out dough. (ew, I know)
10) In a small bowl, mix 3/4 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons cinnamon. Spread across the dough as well.
11) Roll tightly and press the edge into the dough to seal. Cut into 12-15 pieces.
12) Lay next to each other in a 9×13 or 8×8 pan, depending on how squished you like yo rolls.
13) Bake at 350 F. for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately pour glaze over warm rolls and enjoy!